Thursday, June 29, 2017

Tips...Tips...Get Your Tips Here!

So, I know I (Megan) haven't posted since Monday. This is for 2 reasons. First, I have been processing what I have been learning. Second, I have been exhausted every night.

Ok, now onto what you have all been waiting for.... Tips to make your lives a little bit easier.
By all means, I am not saying that everyone will use these or even like them, but I thought some of them were very helpful!

I just wanted to say...that is Lucy Calkins...she really does exsist :)

1. BE STRATEGIC
Partners: When partnering kids, partner kids with similar levels together (Like A with B or E with F). Then if you are short on books in that level, the kids can switch book baggies/boxes during reading time and have plenty to read.  **You also have to be cognoscente of how the partners will work together as well.

Book Shopping: Send 2 or 3 partner groups at various levels to shop for books each day that way they aren't also trying shop out of the same basket at the same time.

Keep Track of Who to Meet with: One way to do this is to plan to meet with the kids that went book shopping that day. So if Ethan, Emily, Alex, and Ana went book shopping on Tuesday, then you would try to touch base with them on Tuesday via one-on-one conference, small group, so on.

Transition: Have students keep their book baggies/boxes close to where they go for independent reading time/partner time. For example, if Ana and Emily read by the back cabinets, than their book boxes/baggies would be kept on the back counter, so when they go to their spots they aren't having to spend time going to get their books.





















Anchor Charts: Some charts will probably need to stay up all year long, however some charts are just for a specific unit and don't have as many transferable skills. For the charts you aren't going to keep up, make Mini-Charts. Shrink down the anchor chart posters or print the anchor chart from the Heinemann. website for the RUoS. These Mini-Charts can go in the students' book baggies or posted on a cabinet door.


2. CLASSROOM LIBRARIES

You need to have all the books in your classroom library leveled, but they don't have to only be organized by level. Yes, you should have bins that same "level c" "Level F," so on. However, you should also have bins that are by topics like, "Dogs," or "Holidays." This insures 2 things; first your kids know where they can shop to find just right books, but it also ensured your kids can find books they like.

One tip my small group leader gave me, was to pick out a few books from each leveled bin and put them in a big pile and have the kids decide how they could be organized and come up with labels. Then, they know what books go where in the library because they have ownership in the creation of the library. Just a thought- it could be a great way to build some social skills along with some classroom community.

3. MINI-LESSON PLANNING

Well, we have all heard, "keep your mini-lesson mini." I actually heard and practiced one way to plan a mini-lesson that could really help us keep them mini! I'll give you the quick version, but I'm sure we will try this at some PD this year!

Set a timer to plan your Mini-Lesson. Like 10min...I know you are probably thinking these people are obsessed with 10min, but all the staff developers have said you should be able to plan your mini-lesson in 10min just like they say you should teach your mini-lesson in about 10min. SO- set a timer.... and you will need a highlighter and some post-its.

1st read of the Mini-lesson (not the whole session, just the mini-lesson) Highlight or underline what you think will be important for you to know during this mini-lesson.

2nd read of the Mini-lesson: Jot down some notes in the margins or on a sticky note of the important phrases or directions from the  "Say this" part of the mini-lesson.

3rd read of the Mini-lesson: Don't reread the whole thing- just read the BOLD sentences. These are the directions for each piece of the mini-lesson. This is also the time that you may decide to change the connection to a more personal story or something you think your students would connect to more. **Take note that if you change the connection, that story may be referenced later in the mini-lesson or share time, so keep your story straight**

This should take you about 10min. I tried it and did it in about 8min. I felt very comfortable and understood what I was going to do, and then I taught that mini-lesson in front of my class of 30 peers. Now, personally you would probably do the above in about 10min, then spend a few more minutes gathering materials or books you need.


There is so much more, but I really am trying to make sure I share that information effectively.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip to meet with the students who shopped for books that day! In May, when I started Ruos, I assigned a table a day to shop for new books. (5 tables) and it worked great...conferencing/meeting with them the same day will be easy to keep up with. thanks!

    ReplyDelete